Here’s a dish that I have been making for some time now. It’s a tasty and nutritious family meal that is easy to make. Turkey is lean protein which is good for building healthy bodies as it is vitamin rich and low in saturated fat.
Turkey mince Hotpot
Author: Pattersons Butchers
Recipe type: POULTRY
It’s a tasty and nutritious family meal that is easy to make. Turkey is lean protein which is good for building healthy bodies as it is vitamin rich and low in saturated fat.
For The Hotpot:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 200g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 500g turkey mince
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Chicken stock pot/cube
For the Cobbler Topping;
- 25g unsalted butter
- pinch salt
- 225g self raising flour
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 tsp mustard
- 4-5 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- Black pepper
For The Hotpot:
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C
- Heat the vegetable oil deep casserole dish.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Add the turkey mince, break up well with a wooden spoon, and cook until it changes colour.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil and mix well.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir in the chicken pot/cube until the mixture thickens.
- Top with the cobblers, turn the heat down until its at its lowest setting.
- Cover and warm the topping through, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and serve with a green vegetables.
For the Cheddar and Oregano Cobbler Topping:
- Pre heat the oven to 220°C,
- Rub the butter and salt, into the flour together lightly.
- Then add the cheese and oregano.
- Add the egg, mustard and half the milk and mix until you have a soft dough. Add some extra milk if required.
- Roll out dough is roughly 1cm cm thick.
- Cut out and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little milk and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Cook in the pre heated oven until well risen and golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Cool, then place on top of the cooked turkey mince hot pot.